Building and Code Enforcement
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What are the setback requirements for residential properties?
All structures in the Residential A and Recreational B Zone are required to be setback from the property lines by the following distances:
  • Front and Side Line Setback = 30 feet
  • Rear Property Line Setback = 50 feet
  • Sheds 150 sq ft. and under must meet the Front Line Setback of 30 feet but may                                
  • Placed 5 feet from the Side and Rear Property Lines
Q. Do I need a permit for a shed?
Yes.  Whether the shed is built on site or prefabricated a permit is required.  

Q. Do I need a permit for a pool?
Yes.  Any pool of water at least 18 inches deep and/or 125 square feet in area is considered a structure and does require a Building and Electrical permit.

Q. Am I allowed to do Electrical, Plumbing and Gas work on my property?
Yes.  Provided the property is a single family dwelling occupied by the owner as their primary domicile with no other living units in the structure, the owner may do their own work.  A permit must be obtained before work begins.

Q. Are In-Law/Accessory apartments allowed in Hampstead?
Yes.  Provided the requirements of the Hampstead Zoning Ordinance Article IV-14 are complied with.

Q. What are the current codes enforced in Hampstead?
  • International Building Code 2006
  • International Residential Code 2006
  • International Plumbing Code 2006
  • National Electrical Code 2008
  • NFPA 101
Q. What are the lot size requirements for the Residential and Recreational Zones?
The minimum lot size in the Town of Hampstead is 45,000 square feet based on soil types.  The minimum frontage is 150 feet on an approved road.